Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mommy Mix

In two short days, I will be in a car with my parents for upwards of nine hours as we drive from Washington, DC to Ann Arbor, MI. Normally, a long car ride means that they play a lot of James Taylor and Bruce Springsteen while I try to turn my iPod up as much as possible without blowing out my eardrums. This generally results in a dearth of communication between us. Sad.

This is why I've created the Parent Playlist, full of music from my collection that I think they may enjoy. They get exposed to something new, and I get to listen to tolerable music. Win-win. My only criteria for this mix were that the songs might be palatable for my parents, and they had to be good for driving as well. Full mix after the jump.

Parent Playlist

1. The Queen is Dead by The Smiths
2. Feel the Love by Cut Copy (I'm not sure how they'll react to this one, but I've been listening to Cut Copy almost non-stop for the past few months, so I couldn't resist.)
3. Me, Myself and I by De La Soul
4. A-Punk by Vampire Weekend
5. South is Only a Home by Fiery Furnaces
6. You Got Yr Cherry Bomb by Spoon
7. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts by Sufjan Stevens (I really want them to like Sufjan. Really really.)
8. Disconnect the Dots by Of Montreal
9. The Well and the Lighthouse by Arcade Fire
10. Me and the Major by Belle & Sebastian
11. Last Nite by The Strokes
12. That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings (This has been a recent favorite of mine, so I included it even though my parents will probs hate it.)
13. Crystal Clear by Fiery Furnaces (First repeat appearance! I don't think they would love Fiery Furnaces, but these songs are both fun.)
14. All Good Naysayers, Speak Up! or Forever Hold Your Peace! by Sufjan Stevens (Duh, it's about Lansing. And I still really want them to like Sufjan.)
15. Babydoll by Laurie Anderson
16. American Boy by Estelle feat. Kanye West (My mom loves Kanye.)
17. Move Your Feet by Junior Senior
18. Huddle Formation by The Go! Team
19. All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem (These last three might be too much for them, but we'll see. Gotta push them a little bit.)
20. No Cars Go by Arcade Fire
21. Mansard Roof by Vampire Weekend
22. Gettin' In The Way by Jill Scott
23. Flash Light by Parliament (A good 50% of my mixes probably end with this song.)


1 comment:

Aviva said...

So....how did mommy like the mommy mix?